I know Tony
I am writing regarding the situation with Tony Pacherille and Wes Lippitt, especially regarding the ``hate crime’’ aspect that has been incorrectly portrayed.
I’ve known Tony since 4th grade, and if there’s anybody who has been racially discriminated against, it’s him. He has been made fun of countless times and had to suffer a barrage of daily insults for years regarding his heritage and background.
For the simple fact that Tony is Italian, a group of people at school have felt the need to make fun of him about it. Tony never gave anyone a reason to be mean to him, yet people constantly are.
I would also like to point out that I’m one hundred percent sure Tony never singled out Wes. It is a simple fact of nature that when one begins to run, the pursuer will chase him. This is the case with Wes. Tony was in such an irrational state of mind that he would have pursued anybody that went in that direction. It just happened to be Wes.
I moved from Cooperstown Central School after my freshmen year, after having attended it for seven years. Bullying will never be reported to the administration, and even if it is, the student will just get verbally abused even more because of the fact that they told.
Tony was bullied for years and knew he had to take it, because if he ever said anything it would only get worse.
This does not excuse what Tony did, but it does provides a much more truthful explanation of what went on for years and why he finally snapped.
I encourage any students at Cooperstown that know Tony was bullied at school to speak to the Pacherille’s lawyer and help bring justice to a sad boy who finally broke.
I know Tony
- Please Click Here
- OUR READERS' VIEWS OUR READERS' VIEWS
- Please Click Here Thank you to all of the participants in the Paint the Town Purple event on Friday, May 9. You made Paint the Town Purple truly a message of hope!
- Please Click Here I have always gone to the library. When I was young, my mother took my siblings and me to our local library at least once a week to select books. I felt I had the world at my fingertips, so many books to explore!
- Please Click Here Never have I written back-to-back letters to the editor, but so many Cooperstown people have called our home or talked with me on the street to comment on my previous letter about the Furthur concert.
- Our Readers' Opinions Once again nature is wreaking havoc with our properties surrounding the lake! The amount of rain we have received in the last month is approximately 13 inches -- three times the normal amount!
- Honest Brook Music Festival to celebrate 25th anniversary The Honest Brook Music Festival has announced its 25th anniversary summer season classical concerts.
- Our Readers' Opinions After living in the western southern tier for 10 years, my wife and I decided to visit the Hall of Fame today, June 20, before moving out of the area in a few weeks. We enjoyed the museum, but parking in Cooperstown proved to be a formidable gauntlet.
- Our Readers' Opinions To Those members of the local government who care about the economic future of Cooperstown and the maintenance of its character: Has Town Hall gone mad here?
- Our Readers' Opinions I applaud the Baseball HOF's move of the Classic to Memorial Day Saturday. I just wished it had not been rained out.
- More Letters Headlines