Cooperstown Crier - Your Source for Hometown News - Cooperstown, Baseball Hall of Fame

inactive

March 27, 2014

Maddux, Cox stick together

(Continued)

“It would have been great if the three of us could have been here together, but it’s been an exciting day,” Cox said in reference to Glavine, a 305-game winner who took his tour last week. “It’s starting to hit home right now for me for the first time how much this means to a person that spent (his entire life) in the game of baseball — to realize that this is the top of the hill.”

Counting this year’s class, there are 306 Hall of Famers in a sport that’s been played at the professional level for nearly 150 years.

Maddux echoed Cox’s sentiments.

“It’s hitting hard today,” said Maddux, a special assistant to the general manager in the Texas Rangers organization. “Being around spring training for the last month, you can hear Hall of Famer, this and that, and it starts to sink a little bit. But now today, it’s hitting pretty hard.”

Maddux and Cox aced their entry exams into the Hall.

Maddux’s pinpoint control and his ability to keep hitters off-balance by locating an array of pitches led him to 355 victories — eighth most in big-league history. He also won four Cy Young Awards, and the Baseball Writers’ Association of America rewarded Maddux in January by placing him on 97.2 percent of its ballots. Of course, with the numbers Maddux produced over 22 years, it might make some wonder what the other 2.8 percent were thinking.

Cox pointed out that pitching wasn’t only aspect of baseball that Maddux took seriously.

“Greg was our ace pinch-runner sometimes,” Cox said. “He could really run and he was willing to do it after winning a few Cy Young Awards, which is hard to find these days.

“Talent (made him a great pitcher), I think and I don’t know if it was God-given or not,” he continued of Maddux, who won a record 18 Gold Gloves. “He certainly knew how to pitch and not throw. He was a great pitcher, a great fielder and he could hit in certain situations. He may be the best sacrifice-bunter I’d ever seen. He’s the all-around package and it doesn’t come easy. He had to work at it.”

Text Only
inactive
  • coop061914crowdpic HOF celebrates 75th anniversary Stephen Clark had plenty of good reasons to found the National Baseball Hall of Fame, then called the National Baseball Museum, in 1939 in Cooperstown.

    June 19, 2014 2 Photos

  • Sauquoit ends season for C'town softball Cooperstown's softball season ended in the blink of an eye Saturday.

    May 29, 2014

  • coop052914trainpic Big crowd honors veterans in Coop Memorial parade Hundreds gathered Monday to honor veterans at the Cooperstown Memorial Day Parade.

    May 29, 2014 2 Photos

  • State sets $135 million minimum bid on casino The minimum capital investment to open a casino in a region stretching from Schoharie County to Saratoga County was set Monday at $135 million by the state Gaming Facility Location Board.

    May 15, 2014

  • Talking Opera adds outreach to Glimmerglass The Glimmerglass Opera Guild will be offering a 13th season of Talking Opera, a free series of educational presentations presented annually by the guild, beginning May 12.

    May 1, 2014

  • Lecture tells history of Burlington Members of the Fly Creek Historical Society heard about the history of nearby town Burlington Flats on April 23 at the Grange Hall in Fly Creek.

    May 1, 2014

  • Jean E. Olin VENICE, Fla. -- Jean E. Olin, 81, of Venice, Fla., went home to be with her Lord and Savior on April 14, 2014. She was surrounded by her loving family.

    April 17, 2014

  • Closing means more travel for patients, relatives The pending closure of Bassett Medical Center's inpatient psychiatric unit will mean more travel not only for patients but also for relatives, according to NAMI of Otsego County.

    April 10, 2014

  • coop032714otennantpic Cal Tennant SCHENEVUS -- Callie (Cal) D. Tennant, of Schenevus, beloved son, brother, uncle and friend, passed away after a long, courageous struggle with diabetes, and died as a result of complications related to that disease Thursday evening, March 20, 2014, at his home. He was 38.

    March 27, 2014 1 Photo

  • TDS032514 ART -- For Baseball Hall JUMP (13) [Duplicate] Maddux, Cox stick together COOPERSTOWN -- If you didn't know any better Monday, the presence of Greg Maddux and Bobby Cox at the Baseball Hall of Fame wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

    March 27, 2014 3 Photos