According to a media release, Orlando, Fla., swept this year’s family travel destinations, with Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the City of Orlando taking the top three overall spots. The Strong Museum, located in Rochester and Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota, placed in the top five Travel Awards winners of 2014.
Museums, historic sites, and national parks and preserves also had a strong presence in the awards.
FamilyFun said the top 10 in the Family Museums category were:
1. The Strong, Rochester, which includes the National Museum of Play, the International Center for the History of Electronic Games and the National Toy Hall of Fame.
2. Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago.
3. Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Indianapolis.
4. American Museum of Natural History, New York City.
5. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
6. The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia.
7. The Field Museum, Chicago.
8. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
9. National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Cooperstown.
10. Please Touch Museum, Philadelphia.
FamilyFun surveyed families traveling with children ages 3 to 12. More than 2,000 respondents in four regions — West, Midwest, South and Northeast — were asked to rate more than 400 vacation spots in six categories. For voting purposes, respondents provided feedback solely on regions in which they live, the release said.