According to the realease, other benefits to patients that will result from the EMR include:
• enhanced coordination of care within Bassett Healthcare Network,
• faster provider access to test results so decisions can be made quicker,
• treatment and medication orders are made directly into the computerized system and alerts generated that warn of any possible drug interaction or allergic reaction,
• barcode medication administration and electronic medication administration minimize the chances of a dispensing or dosing error,
• upon discharge, any prescriptions can be electronically sent to the patient’s pharmacy,
• in the future, patients will be able to check their own test results and receive wellness information electronically through a patient portal known as MyChart.
Bassett Medical Center went live with the enhanced EMR on Dec. 8. Bassett affiliate hospitals, Little Falls Hospital, Cobleskill Regional Hospital, O’ Connor Hospital in Delhi and Tri-Town Regional Hospital in Sidney, will do the same in February. Affiliate A.O. Fox Hospital uses a different EMR; work is underway to allow for information sharing between the two systems, the release stated.