The San Francisco Giants’ postseason comeback story ended with a fairytale finish in the Fall Classic.
Visitors to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum can now re-live that magical ride through the museum’s Autumn Glory exhibit, the annual tribute to the World Series Champions in Cooperstown.
Following the Giants’ World Series-clinching win on Oct. 28, the museum acquired several artifacts from the Giants, who notched the franchise’s seventh Fall Classic title with their victory over the Detroit Tigers. Artifacts donated by the Giants and featured in the exhibit celebrating the 108th World Series include:
* The bat used by Pablo Sandoval to hit the first two of his three home runs in Game 1, tying a World Series record held by Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson and Albert Pujols.
* The jersey worn by Ryan Vogelsong, who tossed 5 2/3rd shutout innings en route to a Game 3 victory.
* The warm-up jacket worn by manager Bruce Bochy throughout the World Series.
* The fielder’s glove used by Gregor Blanco throughout the 2012 regular season and postseason.
* A bat used during the World Series by Hunter Pence.
* Spikes worn by Marco Scutaro throughout the postseason.
* Cap worn by Brandon Crawford during the postseason.
* Spikes worn by Matt Cain during the World Series.
The 2012 World Series exhibit in Autumn Glory will be on display through the conclusion of the 2013 Major League Baseball postseason. Entrance to the Autumn Glory exhibit is included with museum admission.
In 2013, the museum will continue its salute to the Giants’ World Championship of 2012 with special programming to be announced in the spring.
The museum collections contain many artifacts documenting the entire history of World Series and postseason play, including Don Larsen’s cap and Yogi Berra’s mitt from Larsen’s 1956 perfect game; Bill Mazeroski’s (1960) and Joe Carter’s (1993) bats from their Series-ending blasts; the jersey David Freese wore when he hit his game-winning home run in Game 6 in 2011; and World Series rings from the last century of Fall Classic competition.