The baseball writers may have thrown a strikeout on the election ballots, but the Baseball Hall of Fame still has a 2013 Induction Weekend to present.
That’s the message the Hall is spreading and the mission while preparing for the weekend, according to Senior Director of Communications and Education Brad Horn.
“The shock from last week has worn off, and our focus, as always, is on building events and bringing people to Cooperstown and creating as much excitement as possible,” Horn said.
On July 28, the Hall will posthumously induct three “Pre-Integration Era” members, former New York Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert, umpire Hank O’Day and 19th-century player Deacon White.
The Hall will present the Ford C. Frink Award posthumously to Tom Cheek, Toronto Blue Jays announcer, and the J.G. Taylor Spinks Award to Paul Hagen.
It is the first induction since 1965 that no inductees are alive.
“I know that there is the perception that because there are no living inductees, as well as no one elected by the writers, there won’t be people attending,” Horne said. “There are people who will come because there is an induction and they come every year to honor baseball’s history. Also, I know that the members will attend because part of what Induction Weekend is, is a time for them and their families to gather here and celebrate and honor their place in baseball history.”
The Hall also plans to do something special with this year’s Induction, honoring members who did not have ceremonies because of World War II. The honorees will include Lou Gehrig (1939) and Rogers Hornsby (1942), and the entire class of 1945: Roger Bresnahan, Dan Brouthers, Fred Clarke, Jimmy Collins, Ed Delahanty, Hugh Duffy, Hughie Jennings, King Kelly, Jim O’Rourke and Wilbert Robinson.
“We’ve known that this was a possibility, since it has happened before, and we have been preparing something for a long time,” Horn said.