COMMENT: Soon after the Village government took office in 1812, it had purchased “a small fire engine,” which had received its first trial when a row of storehouses on Second [today Main] Street, including William Cooper’s first house in the village, were burned on Dec. 2, 1812. In May of 1813, the Fire Engine Company of Cooperstown Engine No. 1 was formed, and all villagers were required to keep leather fire buckets at every house or shop for use in fighting fires. For a complete history of fire and fire-fighting in Cooperstown, see Douglas M. Preston, “The Clang of the Bell, the Wail of the Whistle: A History of the Cooperstown Fire Department” (MA Thesis, Cooperstown Graduate Program, 1975).
Notices by Cooperstown Companies
Farrand Stranahan presents his sincere thanks to the officers and men of the village Fire Engine Company, and to the citizens generally, for the timely attention and vigorous exertions in the preservation of his property this morning from the ravages of fire. Cooperstown, 17th March, 1814.
Cook & Crafts, grateful for the exertions of the Fire Company, and the citizens generally, in the preservation of their property this morning, most respectfully tender their thanks for their vigilance and attention, at a period when the prospect of saving their store and effects was almost hopeless. Cooperstown, 17th March, 1814
NOTICE. Taylor & Graves,
HAVING been unfortunate, in the destruction of their property, by fire, together with all their notes and book accounts, most urgently requests all persons having accounts open with, or indebted to them, to call and settle the same immediately; at the same time, desiring their customers to refresh their recollections with the kind of work done, that T. & G. may be enabled to obtain their just dues. They have claims only upon the honor & justice of their customers, therefore hope they will be ready to account with them to the utmost farthing.