The Herald Is Not Pleased
To the Patrons of the OTSEGO HERALD. It will be seen by our paper of to-day, that a new paper is about to be established in this village, by Mr. Clark, who has lately managed the editorial department of the Herald. Without animadverting on the futility of maintaining a third newspaper establishment in this town, we would merely observe, that as many might be induced to suppose, that by this arrangement, the Otsego Herald would become extinct, the proprietors have thought proper, with a view to correct any erroneous impressions, to inform their friends, and the public, that they are determined to continue their establishment, and that nothing on their part shall be wanting to render it deserving of their liberal patronage, which has been heretofore extended to it, and which they confidently trust, will be continued. H. & E. PHINNEY.
COMMENT: In fact, the Watch-tower outlived the Otsego Herald, which went under in 1821, while the village’s third paper, The Freeman’s Journal (called the Impartial Observer, 1808-1809, and the Cooperstown Federalist, 1809-1817) is with us still. At least once, in the 1850s, Cooperstown again had three weekly newspapers.
Middlebury, March 2. About 12 o’clock on Saturday night, a detachment of the enemy were discovered in a large swamp in the east part of this town. A strong guard of citizens was immediately detached, and posted at short distances on the road near the mountain to cut off the enemy’s retreat until day-light.
On Sunday morning, a party was dispatched into the swamp to reconnoitre the enemy’s position. The main body, consisting of about 400 men, having surrounded the swamp, moved on the attack in four hundred divisions. The action commenced about ten o’clock, and about twelve became general throughout the whole line,