A Description of York
York has had the most rapid growth and improvement of any town in Canada, and now  contains more than 3,000 inhabitants, and many stately buildings.
York, or Toronto, is placed ... near the bottom of the harbor of the same name. A long and narrow peninsula ... Gibraltar Point, forms and embraces this harbor ...
Stores and blockhouses are constructed near the extremity of this point. A spot called the garrison, stands on a bank of the main land, opposite to the point, and consists only of a wooden block-house, and some small cottages of the same material, little superior to temporary huts.
The house in which the lt. governor resides is likewise formed of wood in the figure of a half-square, of one story in height, with galleries in the center It is sufficiently commodious for the present state of the province, and is erected on the bank of the lake near Toronto bay.
The town, according to the plan, is projected to extend to a mile and a half in length from the mouth of the harbor along its banks. Many houses are now completed, some of which display a considerable degree of taste ...
Two buildings of brick at the eastern extremity of the town, which were designed as wings to a center, are occupied as chambers for the upper and lower house of assembly. — Niles’ Weekly Register
COMMENT: Much of this had been destroyed during the American raid on the town, which formed the capital of Upper Canada, thus provoking (and legally entitling) the British to destroy the public buildings of the American capital in 1814, although some of the damage in both cases was caused by local criminals.