From the Otsego Herald
for Saturday, April 30, 1814
Compiled, with comments
by HUGH C. MacDOUGALL
Last Thursday, about one o’clock P.M. our citizens were again alarmed by the cry of fire, which proved to be in the shop occupied by Messrs. BENJAMIN & BARNARD, Cabinet-Makers.
The shop together with the tools, and a quantity of stuff were consumed; but a number of articles of furniture of considerable value, were preserved, and by the usual activity of the citizens the further progress of the flames, which threatened destruction on either side, arrested.
The whole side of Esq. Foote’s dwelling house next the fire was burned to coal, and the wood house of J. Russell, Esq. was unroofed to prevent the progress of the fire in that quarter.
The fire is said to have caught from burnt shavings falling from the stove and communicating with those on the floor. This is the second loss of the kind Mr. Benjamin has sustained within the last 18 months.
COMMENT: The earlier fire was reported in the Otsego Herald of Dec. 5, 1812, when the furniture shop of Eli Foster Benjamin (1790-1856) on today’s Main Street was destroyed. Now, in 1814, Benjamin had announced his new co-partnership with Charles Barnard just two weeks before, at a shop which appears to have been on what is now Pioneer Street, between Main Street and the lake.
JOHN RUSSELL & ELISHA FOOTE, return their thanks to the Fire Company and the Citizens generally, for their timely aid in saving their property from the impending destruction with which it was threatened, on Thursday last. April 30th, 1814.
COMMENT: Cooperstown’s first Fire Company had been formed only about a year before.
MARRIED — In this village, on Thursday evening last, by the Rev. John Smith, Mr. ANDREW W. BURRELL, TO Miss HANNAH GRAVES.