In 1819 Rev. Andrew Oliver (1762-1820) became the first moderator of the newly created Presbyterian of Otsego, and died in Springfield.
The annual meeting of the Washington Library Society, will be held at J. MUNN’s Hotel, Cooperstown, on Tuesday the 5th of April next, at 3 o’clock, P.M. for the purpose of electing officers for the ensuing year. ROBERT CAMPBELL, Librarian. Cooperstown, March 29, 1814.
COMMENT: This library seems to have been founded about 1820. Robert Campbell (1781-1847), a graduate of Union College, came from Cherry Valley to Cooperstown. In 1830 he became the first president of the Otsego County Bank.
DIED — In Hartwick, on Saturday, the 26th ult. [March] of a lingering illness, which she bore with christian fortitude and resignation, Mrs. DOROTHY MIX, aged 52, wife of Mr. Rufus Mix, of that town.
COMMENT: Dorothy Mix (1760-1814) was the wife of Rufus Mix (b. ca.1757), a Revolutionary War veteran from Connecticut. He later moved to Albany.
School Money Available
The proportion of School Money for the county of Otsego, has been received from the Superintendent of Common Schools. The several towns in the county can have the same for the year 1813, by applying for it. An order signed by all the Commissioners, will be necessary, which may be drawn payable to any one of them, or any other person — It will also be necessary that the Town-Clerk in each town certify that such persons were duly appointed Commissioners of Schools, at the last annual Town Meeting.
HENRY PHINNEY, Treasurer. Cooperstown, March 26, 1814.
COMMENT: “Common schools,” required in each town within walking distance of all potential pupils, were subsidized by the state (and by the towns themselves), but were neither free to parents nor compulsory.
To Let, and possession given immediately, the room in the brick building, next door south of H. & E. Phinney’s Bookstore, lately occupied by Cory & Starr as a Dry Good and Grocery Store, with a commodious cellar under it. The room is completely shelved and fitted for Dry Goods or other Merchandize. For terms apply to H. & E. PHINNEY. Cooperstown, April 2, 1814.