Cooperstown Crier - Your Source for Hometown News - Cooperstown, Baseball Hall of Fame

In These Otsego Hills

June 1, 2012

In These Otsego Hills: 1986 comes to a close...for now

Evidently, the fall of 1986 was the season for history questions. In fact, it seems that we asked so many that we had great trouble sorting through them all. Therefore, in order to try and make sense out of what now does not seem to make sense, we are resorting to relating the questions and answers together without regard for when they actually appeared. We can but hope it will make more sense than it seemed to make in 1986.

Question: Our curiosity was aroused by a remark made at a village board meeting referring to the old village dump at the end of South Avenue, a dump we remember being called Gruby’s Dump. We wonder if there were any other “ancient” refuse sites scattered in or about the village. Does anyone recall?

Answer: And, for our final historical note this week, Jane Frey feels that there was at least one, if not two dumps at the end of Spring Street in what is now woods. We have been exploring in that vicinity and would concur with Jane.

We even did a bit of digging in the refuse piles and unearthed several valuable artifacts in the process. Question: Charles Byrnes offers a most difficult question for Cooperstown historical scholars. “Who was known as the Great Dane from Iowa and why does this name prompt recall at the present time?” If anyone has any idea, please let us know.

Answer: Harvey and Katherine Christiansen, Fly Creek, remember the Great Dane of Iowa, the wrestler mentioned here several weeks ago, who took part in the opening of the second A.C.C. Gym. His name was George Jepsen and his family eventually settled in the Medcalf Hill area of Pierstown. We also received this information: Ellamae Hanson of Pierstown called with information on Medcalf Hill mentioned in last week’s column.

The hill was named for Abel Medcalf who originally  purchased 46 or 47 acres fromWilliam Cooper and today includes what many still refer to as the cauliflower farm. Question: Our Cooperstown historical question this week concerns Dafners Jewelry Store. Does anyone remember where this establishment was and when it was there? Please let us know.

Answer: Dafner’s Jewelry Store was located on Main Street in the Cooperstown  Theater Building. As one facesthe theater one notices that there are two small shops located on either side of the main theater entrance.

Dafner’s Jewelry Store was located in the right hand shop. Henry Dafner, who was the brother of Mrs. Bernard Carr, came to Cooperstown from Rochester and opened his store in 1931. Mr. Dafner operated his business here for several years and then returned to Rochester. We thank both Mac Preston, Elm Street, and Agnes Butler, Walnut Street, for calling to tell us of Mr. Dafner.

Question: While Agnes was talking to us about the jewelry store, she wondered if anyone has any pictures of the inside of the dance hall located at the foot of Pioneer Street in what is now Lakefront Park. We confess that we have seen pictures of the outside of the building, but we have never seen any interior views or shots of people dancing there. If such pictures exist, please let us know.

Answer: The dance pavillion at the foot of Pioneer Street was built, we believe, in 1902.

Does any reader remember when the structure was razed? Since we received no answer to that question, we wrote the following: So far we have found no specific date for the demolition of the Pavilion which stood in what is now the Lakefront Park at the foot of Pioneer Street. We have determined that the building was razed in the early 1930’s. Does that sound reasonable?

Question: Perry Hotaling, Chestnut Street, recalls that when he was growing up here there was an aged people’s home at 78 Fair Street which is located just to the north of the old paddock grounds.

At least Perry remembers that there used to be many elderly individuals sitting on the porch of 78 Fair during the warmer weather. Yet, he has never run across any reference to such an institution. Does anyone else have recollections of the place? Please let us know.

Answer: We have encountered what may be a possible answer to the question posed last week concerning the house at 78 Fair Street. From 1873 until 1916, this house was the Christ Church Charity House which was “devoted to...the good of the poor of said village” according to George E. DeMille, author of “Christ Church, Cooperstown, New York, 1810-1960.”

No doubt the residents of the charity house sat out on the porch in warm months and thus Perry Hotaling would remember them as he grew  up.Question, or perhaps morecorrectly information: On occasion we are asked to give a list of homes in the village which have names, such as Woodside Hall, Riverbrink, Lakelands, Pomeroy Place, Greencrest, Byberry Cottage, Fernleigh, Edgewater, Water’s Edge, Greystone, Averill Cottage, Crooked Cottage, Closet Hall, and Beefsteak Castle, also called Forestview. Several homes with names have been demolished, Sunnyside, the Orchards, Marcey Hall (which was located just outside the village), Holt-Averill and Rockmere are only a few of these. Neither list is offered as a complete one so if any readers are able to add to either list, please let us know.

Answer, or perhaps more correctly more information: We have added two names to the list of houses mentioned several weeks ago. Ed Whalen called to remind us that the Cooper Motor Inn was known as Willow Brook when it was a private residence. Ed also noted that his home, 46 Chestnut, is called Brookside on several of the older maps of Cooperstown.

Since these history questions seem to have a developed a life of their own, we think we must conclude with our 1986 trip for the time being. Granted there is more history from 1986 to go, but we really think it is time to take a break.

PLEASE NOTE: Comments regarding this column may be made by mail at 105  Pioneer Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326,by telephone at 547-8124 or by email at cellsworth1@stny.rr.com

1
Text Only
In These Otsego Hills
  • Visitings with the Widge, Mare Bear This past week we found ourselves enjoying a delightful visit from the Ohio Ellsworths. And while our daughter-in-law Annie had to attend a conference at Hamilton College during part of the visit here, we greatly enjoyed our time with them. We were, of course, quite surprised to realize how much the granddaughters, The Widge and Mare Bear, had grown since we last saw them at Christmas. Obviously, their parents had not put bricks on their heads to retard their growth.

    July 24, 2014

  • Thoughts on traffic and roads We recently enjoyed a brief visit from Jon Battle, one of our late husband's college buddies, who always enjoys visiting Cooperstown and passing howdy on the front porch. And while the front porch is not as welcoming as it used to be since there are no chairs on it, we were able to pass howdy from the comfort of our family room. And during the many subjects that we covered in our conversation, the topic of potholes came up.

    July 17, 2014

  • Potholes and oversights bring bumps We have received a number of comments regarding our discussion on potholes in last week’s column. And most of them were in agreement that the potholes are indeed a problem.

    July 10, 2014

  • Potholes need place on village agenda We have long thought that the concepts of perspective and priorities have the ability to present problems for people. As we are inclined to say, getting one's ducks all in a row is often difficult. And as we have learned about issues currently under consideration by the Village of Coopertown it does make us wonder about their ducks.

    July 3, 2014

  • Summer unofficially begins with ice cream Although summer officially arrived this past weekend, we have long thought that the kick off event for the summer season in Cooperstown is the annual Ice Cream Social sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church on Pioneer Street.

    June 26, 2014

  • Splitting logs gives splitting headache We are happy to report that Woodside Hall is continuing with its presentation of programs which are open to the public. This evening at 6:30 p.m., they are hosting Glimmerglass Festival designers Troy Hourie and Erik Teague who will discuss their role in the company's summer production of Strauss' opera, "Ariadne in Naxos: Unplugged."

    June 19, 2014

  • Summer right for driving in the streets We have realized, having consulted our trusty calendar, that next Sunday is Father's Day. And thus this past weekend we were online looking for an appropriate printable Father's Day greeting card which we might send to the wee-we. Since we have been somewhat housebound this year, we have discovered the convenience of printable holiday cards. We used them rather successfully, we thought, when we sent them to the granddaughters for both Valentine's Day and Easter.

    June 12, 2014

  • June musings XXXXXXXX Difficult as it is to believe, it seems we have made it to June which always seems to be a fairly busy month. And this year is no different. In fact when we turned to our calendar to June we were stunned. We always hope to find we are entering a month in which we have little, if anything, planned. But when we turned to June, we quickly realized we were faced immediately with three meeting as well as four follow-up appointments with four different doctors at Bassett. And much as we would have liked to simply move right on to July, we decided that was really not an option. So we are plowing ahead with June.

    June 5, 2014

  • Presidential reading replaces viewing ince we knew we were not in a position to take in any of the festivities surrounding the president's recent visit to the Hall of Fame, we decided we needed to celebrate in another way. And, as luck would have it, we are currently reading the recently released biography, "James Madison: A Life Reconsidered." What better way, we thought, to mark the current president's visit by reading about a former president's life. It seemed perfect. Besides, it gave us a reason to spend the day with our nose in a book.

    May 29, 2014

  • Best not to push luck on spring This week we note that the Literary Discussion Group meeting, originally scheduled for today, May 22, has been postponed until Thursday, May 29 at 2:30 p.m. in the Village of Cooperstown Library. William Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew" will be the topic of discussion at the rescheduled meeting.

    May 22, 2014