Cooperstown Crier - Your Source for Hometown News - Cooperstown, Baseball Hall of Fame

In These Otsego Hills

August 30, 2012

1986 continues...


“Two other houses, one within the village, one without, are also reputed to be Sears houses. These are 17 Brooklyn Avenue and its duplicate, the second house past the new A.C.C.Gym on the same side of the street.”

And while  still on the topic of houses, we changed direction once again when we wrote: “Bob Ballard, Beaver Street, suggested that we ask how many village homes have been moved from other locations to their present site? We know of several, but assume that there must be more. We do remember when the McGown House, 25 Chestnut Street, was moved from the east side of Chestnut Street between the bakery and the Mobile station to its present location on Church Street where it functions as the Presbyterian Church House.”

This was followed by: “We confess we have not done any exhaustive research into the number of houses which have been moved in the village. We mentioned the McGown house two weeks ago and we remember when the only  house on Court Street (which ran from Leatherstocking Street to Main Street) was moved to its present location at 196 Main Street. Actually this move occurred when Court Street itself disappeared during the construction of the  present County Office Building. Court Street had the distinction, of that time, of being the only village street which had one and only one house on it. Was the address One Court Street? The house presently at One Elm Street  was moved, we believe, from between the Clark Estate Offices and Worthington House on Main Street.

“Bob and Jean Ballard’s house at 51 Beaver was moved, so Bob believes, from its original site either at Elk Street or Fair Street to make room for the Clark Stable built in 1901 on the corner of Elk and Fair.

“Art and Ramona  Goddard’s house, 34 Maple Street, and Rose and Angelo Pugliese’s house, now 180 Main Street were both moved in 1914 and 1915 respectively to make room for the railroad station which was completed in  1916. This building, today a private residence, is located off Main Street behind Bruce Hall, Inc.”

Text Only
In These Otsego Hills
  • Flash back to debate over tourism Congratulations go out to Sandy and Marshall Thorne on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary.

    August 21, 2014

  • Reflecting on the noon whistle Over the years we have been taken to task by readers who do not agree with our thinking. And we have never thought that to be a problem. Opinions differ and it is always good to hear all points of view on an issue. However, for what we think is perhaps the first time, we have been taken to task by a complaint that while we had taken what was an obviously unpopular position on buses within the village, we had been negligent in commenting on another issue, namely the noon whistle. In the writer’s opinion, the current issue, which we now think we understand to be the elimination of heavy traffic on residential streets, is just like the issue of the noon whistle.

    August 14, 2014

  • Summer heading toward destination We were pleased to learn that general reaction to the Hall of Fame Induction Weekend was most positive. From what we read in newspaper reports as well as what we heard from people who attended various events, the crowds really enjoyed themselves. The parade on Saturday got rave reviews from everybody who talked with us about it. Plus, in spite of what we thought when the rain hit Sunday morning, the weather overall seemed to be cooperative. And we gather that the merchants were pleased with the weekend. So we have to think it is probably safe to say it was a win-win for everyone who partook of the weekend's activities.

    August 7, 2014

  • Bringing up a matter of poetic license Since we seem to spend time each week both reading and writing, we have always found the English language interesting to say the least. It seems that it always follows the rules until it doesn't follow the rules. Thus we found Jim Atwell's column "From word to phrase to sentence," which appeared in last week's paper, to be most delightful. But more importantly, it gives us something about which to write this week.

    July 31, 2014

  • Visitings with the Widge, Mare Bear This past week we found ourselves enjoying a delightful visit from the Ohio Ellsworths. And while our daughter-in-law Annie had to attend a conference at Hamilton College during part of the visit here, we greatly enjoyed our time with them. We were, of course, quite surprised to realize how much the granddaughters, The Widge and Mare Bear, had grown since we last saw them at Christmas. Obviously, their parents had not put bricks on their heads to retard their growth.

    July 24, 2014

  • Thoughts on traffic and roads We recently enjoyed a brief visit from Jon Battle, one of our late husband's college buddies, who always enjoys visiting Cooperstown and passing howdy on the front porch. And while the front porch is not as welcoming as it used to be since there are no chairs on it, we were able to pass howdy from the comfort of our family room. And during the many subjects that we covered in our conversation, the topic of potholes came up.

    July 17, 2014

  • Potholes and oversights bring bumps We have received a number of comments regarding our discussion on potholes in last week’s column. And most of them were in agreement that the potholes are indeed a problem.

    July 10, 2014

  • Potholes need place on village agenda We have long thought that the concepts of perspective and priorities have the ability to present problems for people. As we are inclined to say, getting one's ducks all in a row is often difficult. And as we have learned about issues currently under consideration by the Village of Coopertown it does make us wonder about their ducks.

    July 3, 2014

  • Summer unofficially begins with ice cream Although summer officially arrived this past weekend, we have long thought that the kick off event for the summer season in Cooperstown is the annual Ice Cream Social sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church on Pioneer Street.

    June 26, 2014

  • Splitting logs gives splitting headache We are happy to report that Woodside Hall is continuing with its presentation of programs which are open to the public. This evening at 6:30 p.m., they are hosting Glimmerglass Festival designers Troy Hourie and Erik Teague who will discuss their role in the company's summer production of Strauss' opera, "Ariadne in Naxos: Unplugged."

    June 19, 2014