We also noted that the house now located at 74 Fair Street was moved when we wrote:
“The front portion of this house first stood on the southwest corner of Church and River Streets and was the original rectory for Christ Church. In 1890 as plans were being formulated to build a new rectory (which is still in use) the old house was sold for $80 and moved to its present location at 74 Fair. The back section of the house was added sometime later.
Our discussion of moved housed concluded when we wrote that we were told that: 26 Maple Street, formerly the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Taylor, currently the home of the Schellhammers, was moved to its present location, but from where or when we do not as yet know.
“In fact: There does seem to be bit of confusion concerning when and from where the house at 26 Maple Street was moved. Indeed, there seems to be some evidence that perhaps the house was not moved at all, but was built in its present location. Several individuals, including Margaret Smith of Hartwick Seminary, with whom we discussed the matter, seemed to feel that originally the house stood somewhere on the old Bundy Farm either above the Farmers’ Museum near what we call Artificial Pond, or closer to the Glimmerglen Road. Wherever the house’s exact location, suffice it to say that the move was a lengthy one. Shortly after the house appeared on Maple Street, the Devenpeck family purchased it. Bob Taylor’s mother, Grace, was a Devenpeck and sometime after she married Bill Taylor, they moved into the house. If anyone has any more light to shed on whether the house was moved or not, please let us know.”
And, of course, someone did which lead us to write: “We again turn our attention to the house at 26 Maple Street. We have heard from Betty (Bundy) Fry and from Hattie Devenpeck both of whom we thank. The house, originally a one story structure, was, as we have said, located on the property which now belongs to the Farmers’ Museum and was owned by a family named Hotchkiss as we had previously been told. The Bundy family purchased the property which they called Brightside and which was then eventually acquired by Edward Clark for Fenimore Farm. As we have also noted when the house was moved, it was transported in two sections with horses and skids to the new foundation at 26 Maple Street. At that time the house was owned by Ken Root of Roots Hardware Store. Mr. and Mrs. Devenpeck bought the house sometime after that. In 1950, when Bill and Grace Taylor owned the house, they added the second story.
PLEASE NOTE: Comments regarding this column may be made by mail at 105 Pioneer St., Cooperstown, N.Y. 13326, by telephone at 547-8124 or by email at email@example.com