OCCA and Friends of Glimmerglass State Park are among the groups to host a Lake Appreciation Day from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, at Glimmerglass State Park.
This event is intended to bring members of OCCA and other area environmental and lakeorganizations, lake residents, families, and friends together for a day of fellowship and recreation on the shores of Otsego Lake, according to a media release from the OCCA.
A hike, a picnic lunch, swimming, and kids’ activities will be among the highlights, and lakefocused groups are welcome to exhibit in the closed pavilion.
The schedule to date includes:
• a hike of the Sleeping Lion Trail led by Ryan Hudyncia
• “Glimmerglass Marketplace” vendors selling crafts, retail merchandise and flea market items
• flip-flop decorating contest
• “show and tell” session on aquatic life in Otsego Lake and the park’s beaver pond with biologist Tom Hughes
• educational exhibits by lakefocused organizations in the Lake View enclosed pavilion The Glimmerglass Dragons, winners of a silver medal at the recent Finger Lakes Dragon Boat Festival, will be a featured exhibitor.
A picnic lunch will be provided from 12:30 to 2 p.m., including hamburgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers, salads, watermelon, cookies and assorted beverages.
Those planning to attend Lake Appreciation Day, or wishing to exhibit, are asked to call OCCA a 547-4488 by Tuesday, Aug. 9, to pre-register. Regular park admission fees will apply. Boaters are encouraged to paddle in for the day.