The Otsego Herald for Aug. 23, 1819, compiled, with comments:
“New” paper in town
The undersigned intends, about the first of September next, to commence the publication of a paper in this village, under the above title. It will be printed in an entirely new type, and in size correspond with any interior paper in the State. J. B. PRENTISS.
Cooperstown, Aug. 23, 1819
COMMENT: John Prentiss (1784-1861) had been brought to Cooperstown in 1808 by William Cooper to provide newspaper opposition to the weekly Otsego Herald, which had switched sides from the Federalist to the Republican-Democrat party. But at first he had named it “The Impartial Observer” — which did not match its very “partial” and pro-Federalist views. The name was changed once or twice before today’s “The Freeman’s Journal” was adopted.
In Hartwick, on the 17th August, AMOS WINSOR, Esq., aged 77 — a worthy and useful inhabitant of that town.
COMMENT: Amos Winsor (1742-1819) was born in Gloucester, Rhode Island. He married Mary Bushee in 1765 and had 13 children.
In Exeter, on the 19th August, EDWARD P. NASH, son of the Rev. Daniel Nash, in the 4th year of his age.
COMMENT: Rev. Daniel Nash (1775-1836) was a famous Episcopalian minister in the Otsego County area.
In Otsego, on the 29th July, FRANCIS, son of Samuel Henry, aged 3 years — also, In Otsego, on the 4th August, PRISCILLA, daughter of Samuel Henry, aged 17.
On Tuesday last the attention of our citizens was drawn to a novel mode of conveyance. A strange black man came riding through the village with considerable velocity, in a small waggon, drawn by a middle size dog.
On a close examination, the man was discovered to have entirely lost the use of his legs. He had travelled in this mode from Dutchess county. He had a trunk in the waggon, and a box attached to the lighter part, containing light articles of merchandize which he offered for sale along the road.
The dog was perfectly manageable without lines, and (by a little assistance of the black man with a cane in each hand) would draw him up the steepest hills. — Goshen Patriot, Aug. 10.
A travelling house, two stories high, and containing 29 persons, was lately drawn through Tennessee by six horses. The travellers were bound from Maine to Allegany, and the house was designed as a permanent dwelling.
COMMENT: This is the first time I have ever heard of anything like this!
Fashion and its alternative
The variety of changes to which the world has been subjected by Fashion, and the inordinate extravagance which has resulted from these useless changes, has produced incalculable evils in laying a foundation for waste and profusion, the ill effects of which are now felt.
In former times a house was furnished with the utmost prudence — no useless article was ever purchased — and the high backed mahogany chairs, the heavy carved mirrors, the bed and durable curtains, and all the ornaments of the mansion, were selected for their lasting and useful qualities.
After an absence of twenty years, a friend returned to his country, and his eyes were greeted with the same old fashioned, yet ponderous furniture, which time had familiarized, nay, rendered dear to him.
He saw and recognized the old china jars, the sprigged tea cups and the flowered, the old chased sugar dish and tea pot, the spinet, the highly polished wardrobe, in which were deposited the brocade dresses of his grandam (grandmother), and the embroidered waistcoats of his grandfather.
All these objects revived the recollection of earlier days, of happy moments, and served to increase that attachment to home, in which are centered so many joys and so many enjoyments.
COMMENT: The article goes on to the opposite “modern” world in which young people then lived.
Capital of Illinois
Kaskaskia, Illinois, June 16
The commissioners appointed at the last session of the legislature for selecting a site for the permanent seat of government for this state, agreeably to the act of congress, met about the first of this month and entered upon the discharge of their duties.
They made the following selection for the above purpose. In township 6 north, range 1 east, sections 8, 9, 16 and 18 — and named the new seat of government VANDALIA.
COMMENT: Kaskaskia had been the capital of Illinois before, and during the first year of its statehood in 1819. But from 1819 to 1839 this was changed to Vandalia, because Kaskaskia had constantly been threatened with flooding.
Vandalia, was at the end of the “National Road” — various origins of the name have been suggested — and even its designation as a capital was made certain for only 20 years. In 1839 the legislature moved Illinois’ capital to its present one of Springfield. The population of Vandalia today is 7,000; that of Springfield is 116,000.
The subscriber will discontinue distributing papers after the 31st August. It is necessary that he should receive his pay for papers by that time. A delay would be very inconvenient, and perhaps make the defaulter sorry. — HOLDEN RICE.
COMMENT: Holden Rice (1777-1844) lived in Middlefield.